Designing a playground project for your school can be a fun and rewarding experience. Here are some steps you can follow to create a successful playground project:
- Determine the budget: Before you start planning, you must determine how much money you have to spend. Make sure to factor in all costs, including equipment, installation, and any necessary planning permission. It is always worth looking into what grants and funding are available for improving outdoor play and learning spaces.
- Define the space: Look at the available space and consider what equipment and activities would fit in the area. Consider the age range of the students using the area and their needs.
- Gather input: Talk to students, teachers, parents, and other stakeholders to gather feedback on what they would like to see in the playground. This can help ensure that the area meets the needs and desires of the school community.
- Choose equipment: Invite playground companies to advise, recommend and design an outdoor space with the agreed-upon requirements to fit within your budget and meet the school’s needs. Make sure to choose safe, durable, inclusive and age-appropriate equipment.
- Create a design plan: All good playground companies will work with you to create a design plan for the space, including the layout of the equipment, safety features, and any additional features such as seating, shade, or landscaping.
- Secure necessary applications: Make sure to secure any necessary planning permission or applications for removing trees before beginning construction.
- Build the playground: Once you have agreed to the company carrying out the works, the manufacture of your equipment should start, and a completion date should be issued. You should receive regular updates on your project’s progress, and the agreed completion date is still on track.
- Test and maintain the playground: Once the playground has been installed, establish a maintenance plan to keep the playground in good condition over time.
By following these steps, you can create a fun and safe playground project for your school community to enjoy for years to come.